Two days ago, a friend sent me a screenshot of the news, strongly expressing his shock and incomprehension.
If the child swallows such a dangerous thing as the headphones, why don’t the doctor hurry to perform surgery to remove it, but wait for the child to excrete it himself? Does this really not harm the child’s body?
I believe that many people who see this news have the same doubts.
For mom and dad, seeing a child stuff something other than food into their mouth is scary.
There is no other reason, the damage to the child’s body caused by accidental ingestion of foreign bodies is too great, ranging from poisoning to loss of life, and countless tragedies have occurred, and parents have to prevent it.
But there are also many children, after eating by mistake, parents are like doctors in the news to let it go, and finally they are safe.
So, when a child eats by mistake, what do we do about it? Score the situation coming!
The first category: don’t worry after ingesting, you can observe it temporarily
Solid items with a relatively smooth appearance
Solid objects with a relatively smooth shape, such as buttons, beads, non-sharp pits, glass beads, and small coins, can not go to the hospital after the child accidentally eats them, if there is no feeling of suffocation or other discomfort. (If the child is choked, you need to take first aid immediately, there is a first aid tutorial at the end of the article, it is recommended to collect!) ）
We need to pay attention to check the child’s recent stool, if no foreign body is found after ingestion, then we need to go to the hospital for examination.
Household chemical products commonly used
Household chemicals such as bath liquid, shampoo, soap, toothpaste, cream, perfume, and non-alcoholic lotion are basically not highly toxic.
If your child mistakenly eats a small dose, you can let your child drink more water first, then observe your child’s performance, and send it to the doctor if you are unwell.
The second category: do not delay after accidental ingestion, and send it to the hospital immediately
If your child ingests it by mistake
Gasoline, kerosene, banana water, nail polish
This kind of liquid, do not let him drink any liquid, and must not induce vomiting, must seek urgent medical attention.
Because volatile fluids are easily inhaled into the lungs when vomiting, resulting in aspiration pneumonia or chemical pneumonia.
Strong acid, strong alkali substance
Bleach, detergent, stain remover, ordinary desiccant
(Silica gel desiccant of transparent or colored small round beads is not toxic to the human body and can be excreted through feces) This item.
After accidental ingestion, you can let your child rinse his mouth with plenty of water, dilute it as soon as possible, give his child milk, vegetable oil or raw egg white, these substances can protect the child’s gastrointestinal mucosa, reduce corrosion, and then send it to the hospital as soon as possible.
Sharp foreign body
Paper clips, nails, pins, screws, hairpins, fish bones, date pits, poultry bones
They are prone to damage to the digestive tract, blood vessels, perforation and other complications.
Take fish bones for example, many parents will use some home remedies to solve after their children are stuck with fish bones, so that their children swallow rice or drink vinegar, but these are wrong.
Generally, fish bones can get stuck in the oropharynx, such as in and around the tonsils or at the superficial base of the tongue, or they may get stuck in the deeper throat.
If the child is allowed to swallow some forced swallowing actions such as swallowing rice and steamed buns, the fish bones are likely to be pushed into the deep throat and even into the esophagus, and may also cause the originally shallow fish bones to penetrate deep into the skin and flesh due to swallowing rice, causing esophageal perforation, artery rupture, infection and other dangerous situations.
Drinking vinegar is even more useless, fish bones take a long time to soften even if soaked in vinegar, and vinegar may irritate or even further damage the esophageal mucosa that has been poked by fish bones.
Corrosive foreign matter
Battery, coin cell battery
, it has discharge, corrosive and toxic properties that are very damaging to the digestive tract.
In recent years, there has been more and more news about children eating batteries by mistake, and when playing with electric toys for children, be sure to pay attention to whether the battery cover is fastened.
Magnets or small beads
Magnets, small beads
These magnetic objects will suck together through the inner wall of the digestive tract, causing intestinal distortion, obstruction, compression of the intestinal wall, causing ischemia, perforation, and even abdominal infection and death.
You can refer to the table below to put away all the dangerous goods in the picture and place them out of the reach of children.
In addition to accidentally ingesting high-risk items, no matter what the child swallows, if the child has one of the following conditions after ingestion, it is also necessary to go to the hospital in time.
1. Gastrointestinal obstruction such as refusal to eat, difficulty swallowing, drooling, and irritability after accidental ingestion.
2. Abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting, blood in the stool and other manifestations of gastrointestinal obstruction or injury after ingestion.
3. The child has no obvious discomfort after ingestion, but the foreign body has not been excreted with the stool for more than 3~4 days.
It is also important to note that if the child mistakenly eats something and the foreign body gets stuck in the esophagus, do not let the child eat other foods to forcibly swallow the foreign body.
Because the foreign body is more likely to get stuck in the esophagus, continued feeding does not necessarily allow the foreign body to swallow and may worsen the obstruction. If the foreign body is sharp, forced ingestion may poke the esophagus or gastrointestinal tract, causing esophagitis, esophageal tracheal fistula, esophageal perforation, etc.
When your child chokes, the Heimlich First Aid method can be used to help your child drain the foreign body.
Below, Xuan’s mother will teach you how to correctly use the Heimlich First Aid Method for rescue.
1. Judge the situation before rescue:
If the child can still pronounce, speak, or cry or cough after choking, it means that the foreign body has not completely blocked the airway, and the child should cough hard, and the air flow generated by the cough can be very effective in flushing out the foreign body in the airway.
But if the child is unable to cough, or cannot breathe, cannot speak, and his face is purple, he should immediately use the following method for first aid, and other family members should call the 120 emergency number.
2. Correct rescue method:
Under 1 year old: 5 back taps + 5 chest compressions, cycle (as shown below)
Immediately after a baby under 1 year of age gets stuck in the throat by a foreign object, parents should immediately pick up the baby face down, lie on the arms with the head below the torso, and hold the baby’s cheekbones and chin with their hands to fix his head and keep his mouth open.
Then use the palm of your other hand to tap the base of your baby’s shoulder blades 5 times in a row.
Turn your baby over again, face up, and lie on his back in the crook of his arm with his head below his torso. Parents use 2~3 fingers to quickly press the middle of the baby’s chest (the midpoint of the nipple connection) 5 times in a row, and press the sternum 1~2cm down for each compression.
When giving first aid, repeat the above operation all the time, first patting the back 5 times, then pressing the chest 5 times, and then patting the back 5 times… This cycle until your baby vomits a foreign body or can cough or cry hard.
1 year old and above: 6~8 consecutive abdominal fist punches (as shown below)
Let the child stand while the parent stands behind him, wrap both arms around the child’s waist, clench a fist in one hand, put the thumb of the fist against the upper part of the child’s navel, and wrap the fist with the other hand.
Then quickly tighten the arm inward, and at the same time press the child’s stomach upwards, 6~8 times in a row, repeat this action until the child vomits a foreign object or can cough hard and cry. If an adult has choking, this method can also be used to rescue.
In the process of caring for children, you must be careful and always careful. Young children have the courage to try everything because of curiosity, only parents do a good job of protective measures, learn scientific parenting knowledge, collect and learn the necessary first aid methods, in order to save the child’s life in times of crisis and build a safety barrier for him!
Children will face a variety of unknown dangers when they are young, we as parents must be vigilant, it is necessary to learn some commonly used first aid knowledge.
At the same time, we also need to avoid children from touching some items that may be accidentally eaten and keep them out of reach of children.
Share it to more parents to benefit! Escort the safety of more children~