It is difficult to buy filial piety for children. In recent years, the main “light and soft, non-slip shock absorption, anti-fall” elderly shoes are hot selling in China, and more and more young people will buy a pair of such shoes to give to their parents to express filial piety to them.
Can elderly shoes really prevent the elderly from falling?
What is the right way to prevent falls in the elderly?
What should the old man do if he falls?
The softer and more non-slip the shoes for the elderly, the better? Wrong!
Filial piety is worth advocating, but it is also important to remind everyone that shoes do not play a key role in preventing falls in the elderly. Because clinically, there are many factors that cause the elderly to fall, but it is rare to fall or even fracture due to shoes!
We often say, keep your feet on the ground. Many elderly shoes on the market focus on soft soles, but excessively soft soles are not good. The old man walked in too soft shoes, like stepping on cotton, and his body was unstable. Older people especially need this to walk, to feel like stepping on the ground.
In addition, some elderly shoes are overly pursuing non-slip, which is also too much. Shoe sole anti-slip is important, but like locking when a car brakes, it may be easier to fall.
What kind of shoes should the elderly choose?
Elderly people have poor blood circulation in their feet, so the upper should be soft, elastic and breathable.
In addition, the toe part should not be too sharp, it is best to have a wide toe to give the toes enough space to move.
As the age increases, the flexibility of the waist and finger flexibility of the elderly will become worse, tying the laces will no longer be easy, and the elderly fall because of stepping on the laces is not uncommon, so it is best to buy shoes with velcro buckles or elastic collars for the elderly.
1. The slip resistance of the sole is very important.
If the slip resistance is not good, the risk of falling in the elderly will be greatly increased.
2. Whether the insole has good arch support is also very important.
As we age, muscles and ligaments become more relaxed, and some elderly people do not have flat feet when they are young, but become flat feet when they are older, or are not flat feet when they are not weight-bearing, and become flat feet when standing or walking. The arch of the shoe is well supported, which can make the elderly walking not easy to get tired, and can prevent the pain of the back legs and feet caused by flat feet, and the elderly with conditions are best to go to the hospital to customize the most suitable insoles for themselves.
3. The softness and hardness of the sole is also very important.
Some old people think that the softer the sole, the better, but it is not. When buying shoes, you can fold the palm in half to check its softness and hardness. If it cannot be folded, it is not easy to walk when wearing, and it is easy to wear the skin; If you bend it when you fold it, it means that the shoes are too soft, the support they can provide is small, it is easy to get tired when walking, and it is easy to hurt the bone joints of the feet. Soft and hard shoes should be folded in half, the position and angle of the sole bending are similar to the degree of bending of the soles of the feet when people walk, so that when people walk forward, the shoes will follow the feet.
4. The sole should not be too thin.
Otherwise, there will be no sufficient shock absorption function, unable to buffer the impact generated when walking, and it is easy to hurt the spine.
The back of the shoe should have a certain firmness, because shoes with too soft a back can easily sprain the ankle.
The back part of the shoe must firmly “grasp” the foot, that is, the proverbial “heel foot”.
If the shoes are too loose, just like wearing slippers, they do not provide enough support for the feet and are prone to slippage. When walking, the center of gravity of the body will unconsciously lean forward or unstable, and the knees will bend habitually, which greatly increases the pressure on the joints, which can easily lead to calf muscle sprains and plantar fasciitis. Over time, the cartilage tissue between the ankle and the kneecap degenerates.
If the elderly don’t know how to choose, the quality of jogging shoes and walking shoes can actually meet the needs of daily wear.
To prevent the elderly from falling, do these 10 things first
Although the fall of the elderly cannot be prevented, it does not mean that they can only be left alone. Here are ten pieces of advice for the elderly:
1. For the elderly who are weak and unable to take care of themselves, have unstable gait, dizziness and blurred vision, sit on the edge of the bed for a while before getting out of bed and be accompanied by family members.
2. Get up slowly before getting out of bed, especially when taking certain special medications, such as antihypertensive drugs, hypoglycemic drugs, sleeping pills, etc.
3. When you need assistance, call your family members in time and do not be stubborn.
4. Store your belongings in the cabinet and keep the aisle unobstructed.
5. Keep the floor as dry as possible and not slippery.
6. It is best to choose a bed with a bed rail, and pull up the bed rail when you go to bed to prevent falling to the ground.
7. Wear clothing of the right size to avoid tripping.
8. Keep your usual household items in the most accessible places.
9. It is best to decorate your home brightly and brightly to avoid accidents.
10. It is best to install some handrails in corridors, passages and toilets to prevent falls.
What to do if the elderly at home fall, those who do not understand come and see
Generally, the first people who find that the elderly in the family have fallen are family members, not professional doctors. So, how to judge correctly and respond in a timely manner? This can be done by following these steps:
1. It is important to first determine whether the elderly person has problems with breathing and consciousness.
2. Then ask the elderly whether there is pain, clarify the pain area, and check whether the pain area can move; At the same time, observe whether there are abnormalities in the painful area, such as swelling, bruising, and even joint folding, deformity, etc., and whether there is a feeling of bone misalignment in the local area. If these problems occur, it is likely to be a fracture.
3. Call 120 in time, and in the process of waiting, first do some simple temporary fixation for the elderly to relieve the pain.
4. After arriving at the hospital, a professional doctor will give professional treatment to the elderly. At present, multidisciplinary cooperation is the most effective, efficient and cost-effective treatment method for fractures in the elderly. Especially for hip fractures, it is the current general consensus that surgery should be completed within 48 hours.
Studies have shown that for every 10-hour delay in surgery after admission to the hospital, the mortality rate increases by 5% within 1 year after surgery. Therefore, families should fully understand, actively cooperate with the “rapid recovery treatment plan” formulated by the doctor, and strive for time to improve various examinations and rapid treatment, so that the elderly can recover their health as soon as possible.
Comprehensive: Popular Science China, Healthy China
Editor: Cao Xiangyu